Saturday, May 24, 2014

Last Day in London

Friday was our last day in London. We spent the day at primarily two places: Tower of London, and the British Museum. We also went to the London Bridge, but that was for just a brief time, compared to the other two. Again, I'll just post pictures now, as we saw a lot. So, here are some pictures of the Bridge...
...and of the Tower...
There was a navy band or something that kept on parading throughout our stay, and these guys led the thing.
The central tower is called the White Tower. It was a museum of itself, with displays of armour and gifts to the crown.  For example, this was the suit of armour worn by King Henry VIII, and the next picture (well, I should say the items pictured) was given by the King of Ethiopia to Queen Victoria.
The swords that each of these kings used.
This engraving was made by a prisoner, who apparently either a) spent a lot of time in the prison, or 2) kept on making mistakes. You can't see it very well, but it is about 3 inches deeper than the rest of the wall.
(Do not think that because I end with that picture, those are the majority of the pictures I have. They are not. So far on this trip, only 1.57 weeks into it, I've taken between 700 and 750 pictures...)
The next pictures are of the British Museum. Beneath each, I will try to explain what each is...bear with me. 
These are Phoencian bowls front the 5th century BC.
Pottery from Cyprus, estimated to be about 1500 BC, give or take a little.
This bronze, Corinthian style helmet is about 2600 years old...
This is jewellery from the late Bronze Age, which lasted from about 1650-1050 BC.
This freaky, bronze head is from about 450 BC.
This chunk of stone wall is from Persepolis. It dates back to such a time that it could've adorned one of the palaces that, say, Daniel lived at...from what Ben and I deduced.
This is THE famed Rosetta Stone. The actual thing that was dug up.
Ben and I found this last picture to be humorous. Ben and I title it "Domino's Pizza Delivery, British Style." 
Ben and I are currently in Warwick, after having spent a day in Oxford. More on that next post, but I shall say that the afternoon Ben and I arrived, I saw a record 13 red-heads! That was far more than I saw in the four days or so in London...just in case you were dying to know how many red-heads I saw.



2 comments:

  1. So cool! Glad you could get pictures of all those artifacts.
    I love the pizza delivery system. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how you notice the redheads, travelling??? I know I certainly did!
    what does the prisoner's engraving say? Too fuzzy to read...
    I thought the "freaky bronze head" was kind of pretty. :p

    ReplyDelete