Monday, May 26, 2014

Oxford and Warwick

Had Ben and I known the qualities of these two towns, we would've happily spent a week twist the two, at least. Both have a very home-town feeling, and both are quite old. Oxford was going to be more of our relaxing time. We arrived Saturday afternoon, and left Sunday afternoon. Here are a couple pictures of Oxford, primarily of Magdelene College.
And of Warwick. When Ben and I arrived at the Warwick train station, we looked at each other and said "The Professor knew we were coming," referencing the small train station depicted in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I did not get a picture of it, but shall when we leave. For the following pictures, they are mostly of Warwick Castle. 
These people set up tents on the grounds outside the castle, which had displays and interactive tents for the public.
Caught the thief! Dominion players, have no fear...at least until he gets out again...
An archer's loophole...
Uh, Ben, attackers are on the other side...

The bird of prey show was pretty amazing. The next pictures, I took with no zoom...these guys were literally flying inches above the crowd!
The largest functional trebuchet in England.
One of the last things we watched at Warwick Castle was some fights for the Master of Chivalry. Four knights, drawn from Yorkist and Lancaster backgrounds (with the Earl of Warwick championing the Lancaster side...this time), fighting each other. Sadly, I can't seem to get the videos on here, so I might have to post them when I'm at a computer...
Until next time!


4 comments:

  1. How do they know that the trebuchet is still functioning? :) Looks AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, Ben and I had the honor of being present when they fired the trebuchet...er, at least in the general locality. We were on the opposite wall, but we saw them fire two smoke rings AND a fireball. The picture I have is later in the day, after it fired, so to my knowledge, it still is functioning!

      Delete
  2. Hmm, good point Rachel, I wonder who or what they tested it on lately... ;)
    Looks like you two are having great fun!
    I'd watch out for that thief if I were you, he might be dangerous. And...he seems vaguely familiar... :)
    Megs W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Pics, Josh! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete